Thursday 4 June 2009

The excitement of a new sewing machine AND a new blog

I decided to start this blog to document my ever-growing obsession with crafts, in particular crocheting, sewing, knitting and jewellery-making. My love affair with crochet started at Christmas 2008 when my fiance's sister showed me all the fantastic things she'd been making. After a bit of a halting start I managed to pick it up using Debbie Stoller's Stitch N Bitch Crochet which is a great book. So far I've made hats, scarves, bags, gloves, a purse and I am currently working on a large project for a present.

Knitting quickly followed crocheting, although I haven't picked that up as easily and it's been put aside for the time being. I also re-discovered sewing and pulled out my grandmother's old sewing machine to find it only does one stitch.

Which brings me to yesterday: after spending quite a while searching for a new sewing machine that wouldn't break my (very small) budget but that had all the features I would need for a good couple of years, I finally found the perfect one on eBay. It's a Brother XL220 (can't find the link) and it is an 'A Grade' which means it has either been opened and returned or has had a slight manufacturing fault that has been repaired. It arrived yesterday and I set it up as soon as I got home from work, and it is fantastic! So easy to use, even comes with a needle threader, and I managed to easily line my latest Fat Bottomed Bag with only a couple of mishaps (caused by me, not the machine). Can't wait to receive the two books I've ordered: Sew U and S.E.W. and begin sewing some clothes!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails